Thursday, January 24, 2013

Wealth

303) Wealth is a very useful ideal. It is a way to measure yourself today against your own best and worst times.

304) Wealth can be a very dangerous ideal. It should not be used to measure yourself against others, particularly in terms of money, possessions, or status.

305) Each of us has 24 hours per day do do with as we please. When I am the wealthiest I wake up with significant hunger and go to sleep happy and satisfied with what I have achieved and I look forward to the next day. I am indeed poorest when I go to sleep fat and surrounded by things I am scared to lose, in the worst shape of my life and hoping that the next day does not try to take what I have away from me.

306) Indeed being "poor" provides an edge, an itch, a drive. Indeed having it all available to me devalues everything I have and could have. Only scarcity provides meaning and worth.

307) I will write aphorisms on wealth forever.

308) We lack the right words to describe what I mean by wealth. It's not satisfaction, it's not good fortune, it's not belongings, it's not potential. It's that point of ultimate equilibrium, where you have have the most options to choose between, when you indeed have nothing to lose and everything yet to gain. 

309) Any definition you or I could come up with for wealth could be buried in an instant by a better idea and definition of what it is. A 25 hour day is the only idea you could have that would be better than my best idea. But then all I would have to do is come up with the 26 hour day and I would again be ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment