Saturday, September 7, 2013

August 22

1)      After dropping the big boy off at day care, I signed him out on the ipad touch screen, and went for the door, which I held open for a mother and her 3-yr old (my guess) son. He said “thank you” with a level of diction and politeness that most adults could not achieve. It was very nice and his mother noticed too and said to him, “wow, that was very polite of you, why did you thank that man so nicely” and the young boy replied “because I like him.” I had never seen this boy in my life but I too was impressed with the gesture.

2)      On the crowded train into work this morning, a seat opened up next to a 50-year old man who was minding his own business looking at a touchscreen device, listening to something on his headphones. A stunning young brunette wearing a tank top and shorts sat down next to him, and maybe 10 seconds later, lifted her arm and put it around the man and rested it on the seat behind him. Of course he noticed but said nothing. It was clear that the two did not know one another. It was only after studying this girl for a moment that I realized she was wearing a back brace/exoskeleton due no doubt to some kind of injury. She had lifted her arm for the purpose of greater comfort, but that did not stop the man from chuckling and smiling and having a slightly better morning.

3)      Yesterday or the day before, I noticed a contingent of European-looking tourists or businesspeople who were all wearing Harley Davidson shirts with European flair. It was funny to see this strange clash in culture and style; undoubtedly a convention for these folks is being held at the downtown convention center but that doesn’t make it any less conspicuous. Certain of these men wore long Harley Davidson type beards, and all wore weird euro-jeans with strangely placed pockets and odd stylistic cuts. There is something just hilarious about the men. This morning I saw a large group of these guys preparing to go out on some kind of group ride, perhaps a hundred strong, and It made me happy. I took out my touchscreen phone device and snapped a photo of the scene. I also noticed a tent perched on the back of a flatbed truck parked overnight in a downtown parking lot, and I thought, that is just fantastic.

1 comment: