I hadn't paid to camp since my 2007 motorcycle trip to Utah, Arizona, and New Mexico. On that trip, I made the deal with my then girlfriend that I would provide her with access to a shower on every other day. So our first night was in the desert of southern Utah, our second night was in the town of Moab at a camping facility, and so on. We had shower access in Page, Arizona, and none in Flagstaff. Now that I write it out I am thinking it wasn't quite as organized as I had set out but it worked. I did not mind the organized camp locations on that trip.
When we arrived we sat in a line of RVs and other campers who were all waiting for the same thing as us: to be escorted to our sites by someone in a re purposed golf cart. The management of Chalk Creek Campground ran a tight ship; this was to ensure that all who paid had a good time. In addition to providing ground to sleep on, firewood was available for $5 per bundle, COIN OPERATED showers could be used, ICE was available for $3.75 for a 10 pound bag. Port-o-let bathrooms were available four our use free of charge and the slamming sound of that plastic door interrupted the sound of Chalk Creek flowing next to our site through the night.
This was a camping weekend for the 3 year olds so on Saturday morning we woke up and there was breakfast being made on all the coleman gas camping kitchens all around us. I started a ferocious blaze because we, too, had brought bacon and potatoes. The other parents wanted to "go for a hike" with the kids and mused whether there was a trail nearby with easy access. I advised that there were many beautiful trails nearby but that they would have to drive about 10 miles to get closer to the actual mountains away from US Highway 285. Being familiar with the area, we advised that we would be going on a 4x4 drive up into the mountains. We didn't know exactly where we were going but we did know how to get there.
The Jeep JKU Rubicon seen on Boulder Mountain 4x4 Road with Mt. Princeton in the distance
We started towards a trail in the guidebook called Baldwin Lakes 4x4 trail but took a right turn about a mile up that road on to an extremely narrow and steep road called Boulder Mountain Road. We chose it because it promised a shorter overall trip and access to beauty. We were very impressed and enjoyed the trip to 12,800' with a great view of no fewer that five 14ers, including Antero, Shavano, Princeton, and Yale, among others in the distance. Dawson in particular enjoyed seeing the GPS in the Jeep which represented us as a small blue arrow on the map. On that drive we discovered a great campground which would guarantee total privacy and freedom and no port-o-let slamming and free firewood.
After that drive we went into Salida to go to Wal Mart to buy some additional foam padding for the ground and some hamburger buns and salt and pepper. We also ended up with some new sheet's for Dawson's bed at home. We returned to the campsite and did enjoy a second evening of hot dogs, corn on the cob, s'mores, and a fun golf game called Birdie Ball. I easily won the golf game each time I played and even eagled on of the challenges by hitting the target off the tee. Birdie Ball is much easier than actual golf.
The author and his toddler son put a chair in Chalk Creek.


This story puts me in a state of levity and excitement: the mention of every mountain and town and my strong memory of those mountains and those town and the strange joy of shifting from the office to the wilderness. You cannot tame a mountain.
ReplyDeleteI've camped twice in Durango on the Animas River and have participated in mountain activities, even once hiking mountain before a fella's wedding, drinking bottles of beer in the morning, then later tequila out of a flower vase provided by a smiling uncle. I remember little else from that night.
What a great story. As I grow wealthier and I will fly to Colorado and go on such camping trips.