Now I just have to figure this shit out. So far in 2016 this shit has happened three times. First, with Kendrick, the famous musician I hadn't heard of before 1/5/16, then all of a sudden I hear he's the best rapper alive, etc., Then, with Neff headgear, the first time I spot the logo it's on some girl's red convertible dash "NEFF" and next thing I know my good friend Mark Daley is riding with all these NEFF head wear guys and through the combination of these sights and now I know all about this company. Finally, there's Horan and McConaty, who's hearse I spot in the AM as I drive to the mountains and then a letter from them in the evening in my mailbox, offering end of life planning and cremation services. Weird serendipitous shit that doesn't matter but after three distinct and compelling occurrences in the first several days of the new year and I become aware that maybe something is up.
-------------------------------
I was going to write something about the weird bull shit I spotted soon after losing my job or whatever, and I never got around to it, but maybe the hour I spent in the coffee shop today helped wrap it all up.
1) Two days after I lose my job I'm getting a quick coffee at the starbucks in boulder because I'm just a few minutes early to my appointment with Carolyn to see the baby doc. So of course I stop at the starbucks for an afternoon americano. As I wait for my simple drink order, some woman in maybe her 50's is going about her business at the cream and sugar station, doing whatever, and next to her is a pre-teen child or whatever. Anyway she spills that large coffee or americano she's doctoring up, completely spills it, all over the counter, floor, and maybe a drop or two on her black mom jeans. She spills this coffee then she looks up like a deer in headlights and does not know what to do. she lets the cup lie on its side, as if she is preserving the scene for the evidence collectors and she (reluctantly) begins to blot the evidence from her black jeans (there was really no coffee on her jeans, or maybe a couple drops, but either way she didn't need to blot her black mom jeans). 60, 90, 120 seconds pass and finally, I speak up "can we get a rag or mop, there's been a spill" and the 50's lady knows I said it but still she does nothing, she just stands there, a victim of some awful crime or maybe a witness to a horrible accident. The barista responds something to the effect that there is a line of customers and so the barista will tend to the mess once the peoples' orders are done. 240 seconds or so after the spill my americano is ready and I need sugar and cream in my drink so naturally, I go to the station. I take a couple of napkins and I wipe down the mess, and then, 8 seconds later, fix my drink with a satisfying amount of raw sugar and 1/2 and 1/2. The helpless woman receives a new drink and eventually takes her pre-teen and leaves, but it is a hilarious episode and I realize once again that this world is full of assholes and I don't mind.
2) I am about to meet my long time friend and associate Caleb for a lunch and beer and networking, etc., but I receive a phone call on the blue tooth and I take it and I am sitting on the street, I think maybe washington st., Ironically, and I am talking to this woman on my blue tooth and I have an open spot in front of me on the side of the street, and a sweet expensive BMW pulls up next to me and sees the spot, so they decide to park in it, like an asshole, front-first instead of parallel, and they scuff the bumper of the sedan in the next spot up, and they hit that car, and scratch it, and lose some paint themselves, and they just continue driving forward, to find a bigger parking spot. Meanwhile I talk on the blue tooth and I look at the license plate but I do not memorize it. This is someone else's problem.
3) This story wouldn't have made the edition by itself but it happened so I will write it. I got back from snowboarding and the cleaners were still cleaning the house so I went to the coffee shop for an hour of sitting and observing. That coffee shop was a buzz: the workers never stopped moving; there were two of them, a boy and a girl, and I think they feared if they stopped moving they would be expendable and might lose their jobs. Anyway they kept moving and a man named arthur presented himself as a possible barista but the owner did not seem interested; his body language made that obvious. And then a man with a Bear Creek Distilling hat came by with some baked goods, apparently looking for a new retail customer, and the body language by the owner of the coffee shop again indicated indifference and annoyance, but he gave this seller the time of day. I sat for an hour watching these people, studying everything they did and maybe I didn't learn much but I did have one small realization; pay attention and be genuine and everything will work out.
Thursday, January 14, 2016
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment