On the last day of the month, the sales people push hard to get their deals closed. Deals good and bad are prodded along and pushed to my desk. One deal had involved me trying to assess the credit-worthiness of a customer that doesn't seem like a great fit, but I humored the sales group and reached out for some information from the firm's CEO. He called me back and in a thick accent, suggested that my request was highly inappropriate, and that I should have googled he and his co-founder and I would have discovered that they graduated from Stanford and Berkley in the early 90s and had dozens of patents to their names and a long history of very significant achievements. I had not done this googling because I am very busy with many more things, but apparently I should have. And, he re-iterated, his firm is not "making toothpaste" but rather have some revolutionary new product with imminent FDA approval. I spoke with the sales rep about this conversation as we had drinks at the bar, and she told me that she couldn't care less whether the deal closed or not.
-----
It was bring your kid to work day on Thursday and so the office was full of 5ish - 12ish kids running around with pirate hats on and "working" with their parents. The insanity was palpable and it was an enjoyable day for all. My kid was the smallest of the bunch but was voted best / coolest / most fun by all the people there. He made a lot of friends. On Friday morning, I left early to conduct an interview, and apparently the 4 and a half year old was very upset that I did not take him to the office again. He thought he had graduated from day care, apparently.
No comments:
Post a Comment