419) I think it was a good run, but since I didn't run the second lap, I'll never know for sure.
420) I took a cheap opportunity to pass a runner while they dodged sprinklers on the far side of the park after some minor back spasms of my own. Then, as they hung on to my lead, I dragged them through a miserable half lap where I crushed their soul and laid waste to their plans to get me back. The ultimate move for an endurance runner is to entice someone to pass you as they approach from behind, and in a measured way, destroy any chance they have by dragging their speed up and holding it there until they crack.
421) Powderhill climb had been freshly mowed and sprinklers were on near the top.
Friday, June 10, 2016
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Perhaps related, perhaps not. The 36 year anniversary of Doc Ellis's no-hitter happened two days ago. The no-no was notable for being pitched under the influence of LSD.
ReplyDeleteEllis reports:
I can only remember bits and pieces of the game. I was psyched. I had a feeling of euphoria. I was zeroed in on the [catcher's] glove, but I didn't hit the glove too much. I remember hitting a couple of batters, and the bases were loaded two or three times. The ball was small sometimes, the ball was large sometimes, sometimes I saw the catcher, sometimes I didn't. Sometimes, I tried to stare the hitter down and throw while I was looking at him. I chewed my gum until it turned to powder. I started having a crazy idea in the fourth inning that Richard Nixon was the home plate umpire, and once I thought I was pitching a baseball to Jimi Hendrix, who to me was holding a guitar and swinging it over the plate. They say I had about three to four fielding chances. I remember diving out of the way of a ball I thought was a line drive. I jumped, but the ball wasn't hit hard and never reached me.
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDelete46 year anniversary that should read.
ReplyDeleteBut let none of this distract from the crushing of souls. A well-performed pass in running can be exquisite and long-memorable. This method of dragging the passee along with you is menacing. I, in contrast, was inclined to pass with an excess of speed and when going up hill, if possible. The intent was to inflict such sudden awe that the passee was immediately broken in spirit, unable to drag himself along in hopes of staying with me. Your method, by contrast, is medieval. I intend that as a compliment.
By the way, Ellis walked 8 batters in the game, struck out 6 and benefited from a couple of spectacular fielding plays. His catcher, allegedly, put reflective tape on his fingers so Ellis could make out the signs.
ReplyDeleteAlso extraordinary was Ellis' start on May 1, 1974. Ellis attempted to hit every batter in the Cincinnati Reds lineup as he was angry that the Pirates were intimidated by the Big Red Machine. Ellis admired Pete Rose and was concerned about how he would respond, but Ellis decided to do it regardless. Ellis hit Rose, Joe Morgan, and Dan Driessen in the top of the first inning. Cleanup batter Tony Pérez avoided Ellis' attempts and drew a walk; the first pitch to Perez was thrown behind him and over his head. Ellis threw two pitches that he aimed at the head of Johnny Bench, at which point Ellis was removed from the game by manager Danny Murtaugh. Ellis' box score for the game reads as follows: 0 IP, 0 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 0 K.
ReplyDelete