Wednesday, July 23, 2014
What is the new aesthetic?
The frame was so fuckin beautiful. Three triangles, instead of two. The downward sloping top tube that intersected with the real wheel just right; the right amount of that rear wheel was intersected just right. More accurately, that stupid frame intersected the frame no less than three times. The aesthetic of that BMX bike was more important than anything else in my life. It would have been late March, 1995. The frame was a Supercross, and it had to compete with the GT Mach One, the Interceptor, the Pro Series, and even the Dyno VFR (We knew the VFR was cheap but we still liked it). My neighbor, the "Rich Kid" Brandon "The Mexican kid with the awesome older brother" had one. A dyno vfr. What was my first bike again? It was chrome and I got it from in front of my other best friend's house. He was black and tall and had just moved away, completely a surprise to me. But I picked up his bike from the rack full of locked bikes, my friend's wasn't locked, and so I grabbed it. It served me well, it was better than VFR. But it was bent and no stickers and all the bearings got re-packed by me, the elder Dawson teaching me how. I packed bearings for many years, never remembering Dawson's instruction verbatim but (probably) remembering the processes' tenets correctly. Which I now forget; only the visceral and visual remains for me. To rediscover this ability to see what matters is to hear music again. Anti-Flag had an aesthetic. Multiple intersections.
Regarding:
bmx,
the story of my first real bike
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment