"My list of things to do is out of control" I overhear as one well-kept and in-shape "power bitch" talks to her friend as they jog on a beautiful balmy Sunday morning. My mind goes into one of it's tailspins, this being about 6 miles into the run. This is a complicated sentence, and a great opportunity to observe a great clash in psychology and philosophy. My mind begins to pick apart the components of the statement: a) the list, b) the things and their inherent "need" to get done, c) the idea of control vs. out of control, then, secondarily, d) what having a long list might mean for the woman, and how it may validate her need to be important or busy or successful or nearly successful but held down by society, as well as e) her desire to talk to her friend about all of this. I wish I would have turned around and listened in.
--------------------
On the first lap, a young couple in front of a pricey little bungalow directly across from the park, had raked the leaves in the front yard into piles, and were beginning to put the piles into bags. The man held the bag as the young woman bent over and picked them up.
On the second lap, the young woman was doing the work alone.
--------------------
The Aphorism Cocktail Lounge "where culture meets value" - I think this bar would work anywhere, I imagine tending bar in a small town, collecting aphorisms from locals and travelers alike, and giving out free advice and stimulation.
--------------------
A young boy's birthday party in the park, two drunks gingerly approached, already drunk, with a twelve pack of PBR and cigarettes in hand, confused apparently. Spider Man was posing on top of the picnic table with the young children, who were all wearing capes and costumes. The two drunks kept their distance.
Sunday, October 21, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment