Monday, October 22, 2012

Little things

261) I was not lying the other day when I told my neighbor Mark that the thing I dread most in this life is the day the cleaners come to our house. The mystery of wondering when they will come, the picking everything up so they don't misplace them as they clean, and the slightly awkward interaction as they show up and I scramble to take Dawson elsewhere. The fact this this is what I dread the most means a) my life is too easy b) I have a good, comfortable life and c) I do not invent many problems for myself or accept very much of my collective circumstances as "problematic." It also means I have far too much comfort. What problems would I invent if I were living on the road or living amongst the trees and the animals? What would my problems be?

262) When I have a beer with Justin the photographer, we have many small arguments, and agree passionately on many things, and see things in similar ways, and yet have different perspectives. Last night I told him before we went out that I would sell a certain used DVD I had on my person to someone at the bar. It seemed at the end I would not be able to sell it because I had not even tried. Then, I offered the DVD for $10 to the bartender and he pulled a bill out of the register and it is in my wallet now. Justin, with all his passion, is still impressed at how well I get along with perfect strangers. His being impressed with how I get along with perfect strangers inspires me to get along with the perfect strangers in new ways.

1 comment:

  1. When I think of strangers I think of speed and particles. Think of how a comet, passing through the universe, only encounters strangers. Think of how a man, moving on a boat or swimming in the sea or perhaps, perhaps, riding on a bicycle, encounters strangers. Soon nothing becomes strange. Nothing is strange for the comet. You are a comet.

    ReplyDelete