Tuesday, March 2, 2010

reasons to be scared


4 comments:

  1. Chuang Tzu:

    "6 If we were to be guided by our own minds in full awareness, who would be without a guide? What need is there to know the principles of alternation of passion, when the mind itself can use its criteria for understanding. Even the minds of fools can do this! On the other hand, a mind without criteria admits contradiction, like saying, I went to Yüeh today and arrived yesterday. Or, like locating nowhere somewhere—geography that even the great intelligence of Yü would fail to comprehend. How could I?

    7 Speech is not mere breath. It is differentiated by meaning. Take away that, and you cannot say whether it is speech. Could you even distinguish it from the chirping of young birds?

    But how can the unvarying way be so obscure that we speak of it as both true and false? And how can speech be so obscure that it admits the idea of contraries? How can the unvarying way be gone and yet remain unvarying? How can speech exist and yet be impossible?

    8 The unvarying way is obscured by our lack of comprehension. Speech is obscured by the superficialities of this world. Hence the affirmations and denials of the Confucian and Mohist schools, each denying what the other affirmed and affirming what the other denied. But he who would reconcile affirmation with denial and denial with affirmation must do so in the light of how things are in nature."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Come with me and worship at the alter of Paramount. We will visit with the gods together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, okay. I won't be so obscure. I got a 1972 Paramount in my basement. Really.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This frightful first message post is a reason to be afraid. The second, clarifying message is perhaps even scarier. Like saintmaximin, killing the climbs in texas in sandals on his waterford with touring rims, or like Tuesday night, racing around the park in the dark wearing slacks. I accept the invitation contingent on there being something to do other than worship. For I am not a pious person.

    ReplyDelete